Sunday, August 9, 2009

First Attempt At Soldering

Success, except for mixing up the position of two different colored LEDs. Ah well, at least it still worked. Will need to pick up some solder wick next time, couldn't remove a small but significant amount of solder from the incorrectly soldered LED(s). And one LED wasn't working...

Pardon this newb here going all hooha over soldering, but it's a new thing to me. It felt like brain surgery, you gotta keep a steady hand when feeding the solder wire to the iron. Oh, and the melted solder, LIQUID METAL!!!
I think I was supposed to have done soldering in Living Skills (Kemahiran Hidup) aeons ago, but being the lazy student I was(WAS!), I skipped class and left the solder parts in its packing collecting dust in some obscure corner of my room. I certainly regret throwing the whole packet away, now I have to buy them with mah own dough.

The ugly, and amateurishly soldered back of the circuit.
It's a flip-flop circuit, whatever that is. While I recognize the components, I have no idea how a bunch of resistors and a couple of capacitors & transistors work together. The LEDs form a heart shape and blinks. Need to redo another set to display in my car and room door. And, also understand what & how a flip-flop circuit works.

What I learned:
  1. Tie up hair - My soldering iron has severely burnt hair on it.
  2. Ventilation - I hadn't realized this until I left and re-entered my air-conditioned room, naturally it reeked of solder fumes.
  3. Wet sponge and thinning the solder iron
  4. Clear/Neat table - Bro very nearly touched the hot solder iron. *gasp*

1 comment:

M said...

winn chan~~~ can i have one for my room door as well??? ^^