Sunday, July 26, 2009

Much More Computer Woes

I've gotten OS working on another partition, but its still infected, though haven't gotten the fatal explorer.exe error, which will be so sooner or later. This virus starts from , its found in the Windows>system32 folder. From what I've read, this virus variant modifies .exe programs, saved webpages and screensavers. Even goes through zipped/compressed files. So far I've managed to nominally block net access for it and 1.exe through a firewall, but I can't get netstat to stay open long enough to check my connections.

Here what happens, reader_s connects to net, downloads more malware. Your temp folder in Windows will be filled with illegible files(each prolly meant to send out spam), and multiple copies of InternetExplorer and svchost.exe show up in the task manager processes. But that's not all yet, since it modifies any ***.exe, its just a matter of time before it gets to crucial OS executables, then you'll have a corrupted OS. In other words, (as someone put it) a glorified lit-up brick.

Hopefully the computers stays in working condition until my hols, infected or not. Will try cleaning the registry in Safe mode without networking, if not then there's only zero-fill(HDD) left. Till then I just hope it doens't gain the ability to infect media files. Will also get Ubuntu asap.

ARE YOU INFECTED?

No comments: